Friday, May 31, 2013

Worth Reading – May 31, 2013


This post was delayed, which I posted about yesterday, because I got news about a job opportunity in the Northwest Territories. It is entirely possible by this time next month I’ll be living in my new home in the Arctic. This will obviously mean a lot of changes for me and my life (new frontrunner for understatement of the year). At this point I am not sure how this will affect my blog. I intend to continue to write, but the content of the blog will probably change so that I am writing more about my new community.  

Steve Paikin the very talented people at the Agenda on TVO assembled an incredible panel to discuss scandals and their effect on Canadian democracy. Three journalists discuss the issues facing the Parliament, Queen’s Park and Toronto’s City Hall. The roundtable was expanded to include some really interesting voices and perspectives. 




Everywhere I went when I was in Toronto on Saturday I heard people talking about the Fords. This story was a big part of the reason why. The Globe investigates the Fords' connections to the drug trade.

Last week Elijah Harper passed away. Mr. Harper was a prominent Aboriginal leader from Manitoba and played a critical role in Canada’s history. Truly a great man. 

Toronto’s Spacing offered a two-part column on the new Metrolinx plan. The first part was examining Ontarians’ attitudes to potential funding models based on a poll they conducted. The second column discusses the actual tools Metrolinx is proposing.  

Gwen O’Mahony, a defeated BC NDP MLA, who won unexpectedly in a by-election last year, offers some keen advice to her successors about being a good public servant. I found this letter oddly touching, it’s a shame Ms. O’Mahony couldn’t continue her work.

The Star reports on the proposed Metrolinx funding program


Perhaps my favourite piece from the week, a journalist at Metro News tackles Doug and Rob Ford’s claims about their “incredible” fiscal record. I wish journalists would write more pieces like these. Governments too often get by on rhetoric and not facts.

This is a funny one that may be more sad than funny. An economist breaks down the value of the Senate. Trust me, give it a read. 

No comments: