Thursday, August 21, 2014

Worth Reading - August 21, 2014

I really like this piece from David Frum about how our efforts to improve accountability has crippled government. I think it is something worth considering and thinking about moving forward. I believe I’ve written on this topic in the past.

If you haven’t been following the news about Ferguson my best advice is to watch this clip of John Oliver from This Week Tonight.  It would be funny if it didn’t make me so mad.

In university I took a course on North Atlantic history, which included extensive discussion of Norse Greenland and their exploration of North America. We debated how far the Norse explored and the extent of their contact with the indigenous people, but a recent discovery of a knarr on the Mississippi River shows they may have gotten further than we imagined. 

I am a fan of these types of stories because I think they reveal something not immediately obvious. This is Ferguson reported as if it were occurring in another country

Paul Wells of Maclean’s interviews Justin Trudeau (LPC – Papineau, QC). 

The Globe and Mail is reporting on the ongoing scandal in Brampton’s municipal finances. The author tries to explain how accountability has seemingly vanished from Council

Unless the Conservatives win a sweeping victory in 2015 it is likely that more Alberta seats will switch from the Conservatives (or no incumbent) to the Liberals and New Democrats. Both parties are working hard to make that so. The new more urban ridings in Calgary and Edmonton are more likely to be friendly to the Opposition.  

CGP Grey, by far my favourite YouTube channel on the internet, posted an interesting video this week about the growth of automation and the impact it will have on human beings. His conclusions are rather harsh, but I have trouble disagreeing with him, we’re all horses.


No comments: