Thursday, September 6, 2012

Worth Reading - September 6, 2012


This is the first edition of this new feature. I hope to pull together articles I read over the week that I would like to point to. I only write a piece once a week which cannot cover the breadth and scope of current events. I cannot provide a definitive source, but I can at least highlight interesting ideas and perspectives.

Tonight there are by-elections in Ontario that will determine the future of the McGuinty government. Eric Grenier at Three Hundred Eight breaks down the voting tonight

The next leader of the Liberal Party of Canada will bepicked on April 14, 2013. The rules have been set. The race begins.

Maclean’s Magazine takes an extensive examination of thepressures facing students in post-secondary education. Depression, anxiety and suicide is a growing problem among young people. There are not simple explanations, nor simple solutions, but there is a growing recognition of a problem.

Globe and Mail analysis suggests that the Parti Quebecois is taking lessons from other separatist parties in Scotland and Spain.Independence is out of reach, so they are turning to Plan B. It provides a great deal of insight into the thinking within the new government of Quebec.

Greg Weston of the CBC weighs the chances of a referendum in our future. 

Stephen Maher comments on the central problem of ourdemocracy in relation to the Quebec election. With roughly a third of the vote the Parti Quebecois nearly won a majority, despite most Quebecois voted against sovereigntist parties.

2 comments:

Earl A. Washburn said...

You can tell Eric Grenier isn't an NDPer or a even a good political pundit for that matter in that he is not calling an NDP victory in Kitchener-Waterloo.

SJL said...

I'm not sure of his political alignment. His predictions never seem to have a particular bias to my mind. Frankly, I was also surprised at the NDP victory in Kitchener-Waterloo. Forum has not been that reliable on riding polls. I have a feeling on the ground it felt like the ONDP had momentum, but I was far away. I thought it was going to be a tight three-way race.